Student Life Advisor
The Louisiana School for Math, Science, and the Arts seeks applicants for Student Life Advisor Positions available now and additional positions for Fall/2024
• Receive state-sponsored benefits of medical and life insurance, retirement savings, as well as generous time off, all while living in free housing with meal plan in a picturesque historic campus community.
• Previous experience in residential housing a plus but not required.
• On the job training will be provided.
The primary duty of the Student Life Advisor (SLA) is to create and maintain a positive living/learning environment for the students in their care. Each SLA works independently with his/her group of students (approximately 36 students) and collectively with the other staff to ensure that student care, development, and safety needs are met.
In addition to programming responsibilities, SLAs who enjoy being involved in many aspects of campus life can elect to sponsor clubs and student organizations or to serve on campus networks. SLAs can also plan or chaperone social or educational off-campus trips.
Specific responsibilities include supervising the student sign-out process, conducting nightly room checks to assure that all students are accounted for in the building, conducting weekly room-inspection, transporting students as needed (in school vehicles), enforcing policies, and planning and implementing social and educational programming. At times SLAs may need to dispense over the counter or prescription medication or provide other medical care, for which training is provided.
Additional on-the-job training, including CPR/AED and first aid training, will be provided. SLAs interested in additional professional development opportunities can apply for funding to attend conferences and workshops in line with their work and career goals.
This is a full-time, live-in position includes an apartment for the duration of the contract, a meal plan when students are on campus, and all benefits afforded to Louisiana State employees including, participation in the Louisiana State Teachers’ Retirement plan. Student Life Advisors are required to live in the residence hall and to be on site for scheduled shifts and on-call overnight responsibilities, except on days off. Student Life Advisors receive ample time off surrounding holidays and extended weekends when residence halls are closed. A generous benefit package including health and retirement are offered with this position.
• Bachelor’s Degree
• Valid Driver’s License and ability to provide local and out-of-town transportation for students.
• Educational training in education, psychology, or student affairs
• Experience working in education, residential life or student affairs
• Knowledge of adolescent development, contemporary issues facing adolescents, and characteristics of gifted students
• Proficiency with the full suite of Microsoft and Google tools
• Prior experience working with teenagers/young adults
Application review begins immediately and remains open until position is filled.
Please send cover letter, resume, transcript from your final degree granting institution to: firstname.lastname@example.org
LSMSA is committed to equal employment opportunity. LSMSA will not discriminate against, nor tolerate discrimination against, any employee or applicant for employment on any legally recognized basis including, but not limited to, race, color, creed, disability, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, political affiliation, disability, citizenship, or age. This policy applies to all personnel action including recruitment, hiring, training, promotions, compensation, benefits, transfers, layoffs, termination, recreational and social programs, and professional contracts.